The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
olblue81

Lightbulb Getting ready for a long cruise

So I've made up my mind I'm going to dust off the 81 and drive it from western Saskatchewan to Ft. Dodge IA in Oct for the Cruise to the Woods. Why? I have to be in IA the next week for work anyhow so it seemed like a good excuse to go for a drive in the ol girl.

But like all good ideas, there are problems to overcome.
-truck has sat for a few years now and the gas in the tanks is from 2005
-can't switch fuel tanks from one side to the other
-the gas tanks are looking a little rusty and might spring a leak any minute
-there is a puddle of tranny fluid on the floor
-there is a puddle of brake fluid on the floor
-I'm 90% done a Flexilite electric fan swap
-the chrome thermostat housing weeps
-it sits high enough to get a nose bleed
-the back bumper looks like crap

So I've started this thread to help to keep me motivated to get this done and to get a little help.
Problem 1 is easy enough to fix since the lawnmower needs gas anyhow. I'll siphon it out and fill up the mower.
Problem 2 I'm in the middle of right now and need an answer. I'm going to replace all the fuel system components just cause I can't afford the time to break down on this trip. New tanks will ensure that ethanol blended gas won't pull any crap out of the system and plug filters, valves, pumps and the carb. I just bought a new tank switch for the dash today ($16.92 cdn at Acklands Grainger) and I'm thinking of changing the selector valve on the frame to make sure I don't have any issues at all. Problem is the guy at Acklands didn't know what the valve was called. I've searched the forums and have seen it called the Tank Selector Valve. Any other names it goes by? Parts guy was looking in the Blue Streak and Carter catalogs. Maybe they don't even carry a part for it. I'm also wondering if there are different valves for different years. Will an 87 valve fit my 81 for example. I've tried google, but I'm wondering if anyone can post a link to learn more about the part I want.
Problem 3 can be fixed at Ackland's as well. They have fuel tanks available at a decent price. $137.36 cdn for a 16 gallon and $134.23 for a 20. I have to double check the size, but I'm sure I have 16 gallon tanks. Are the 20 gallon tanks interchangeable? I kinda like the idea of having that kind of fuel range for the trip.
Problem 5 I'm going to farm out. Booked an appointment to get the wheel cylinders changed, axle seals replaced and new brake shoes. While it's there they can look for tranny leaks. I think Problem 4 is just the converter draining back into the case while it sat so long and is coming out the vent. Not sure though because it was too dark to tell.

That's where I'm at at the moment. I have to fab some brackets to hold the fans in place since I had a brain fart and ordered a kit for an 04 GMC from Summit. With the border it's just too much of a hassle to send it back and get the right one. So the bottom is held on with 2 brackets from the kit and the top is held on with zip ties. The thermostat housing is driving me nuts. I've filed the housing flange on the Edelbrock intake flat, filed the chrome off the housing, replaced the O ring, smothered it in silicone, but the SOB still leaks.

After all those things are done, I'll hopefully get around to doing something about the altitude, switching to a sport rear bumper and cutting off the tailpipes and dumping them after the axle. If there's any budget left over then I'll see about getting the seat fixed up a bit. Not very comfy anymore.

1981 GMC Sierra Classic LWB
355- original 2 bolt block, 10.2:1, vortec heads, Comp XE268 cam, built by self in 1992
700R4-2000 stall with lockup, shift kit, Corvette servo
3.07 open diff- I need a 3.73 posi!

2nd owner since 1986 - 388,000 km and counting. 100k by the first owner and the rest by me.
olblue81 is offline   Reply With Quote