The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
NewTown_66

Insuring your truck with non-classic insurance

I am having some issues with my insurance company and my wallet lately and was wondering if some of you may be in the same boat.

I have a '66 C80 truck that I am restoring and planning to drive as a peronal vehicle only. The truck is too tall to fit in a garage and therfore I can't get classic car insurance unless I build a new building to put it in. I have had it insurance for the past 3 months on a "commercial" policy with a GVWR of 25000 lbs and the premiums are killing me. I am going to be re-registering the vehicle at 2000lbs over the unladen weight and was hoping to be able to insure it as a 1 ton.

After speaking with an insurance agent today, I was told that they don't have records for vehicles this old that specify whether the truck is a 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton or more and that I may be able to insure it as a 1 ton with a personal auto policy. I say may because they said if I am in an accident and they find that I "misrepresented" the vehicle, they may not cover me.

Has anyone had experience doing something like this? I don't want to get screwed if I get in to an accident, but I don't want the already rich insurance companies to make a mint off me driving a truck 10 times a year.
NewTown_66 is offline   Reply With Quote