The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
daverod
SSN 706

Re: ol Curt Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
Now for the burning question. On the long drive home I was thinking about how I never intended to have the cab off as this is to be a daily driver. But the bed is off and i have had the hood and inner fenders off. The only thing keeping me from lifting the cab off, cleaning the underside of the floor where it is solid, cleaning that frame up good in that spot.....and I think making it easier to install the trans is taking the clutch stuff off and the steering column out.Both of those will have to be done to covert it to the automatic.

Wouldn't it make sense to at least lift it off and clean those areas up and paint? I would just leave the motor in, and just disconnect the hoses at the heater and unplug the wiring harnesses.

Is there a method for marking the steering shaft to make sure I get it right when I put it back in? I had also considered adding a Borgeson joint in place of the rag joint anyway.

Sorry for so many questions!
I would take it off. That way you could find some more work stuff to work on . I'm pretty good at taking stuff apart hav'nt really put anything back together though. On the steering thing I don't think it would matter. Could'nt you just pull your steering wheel and line it up that way. With all that work you did on the floor I can't believe you have'nt taken it off yet. I know what a pain weld all thet stuff is. I can't imagine doing it with the cab on. I had my cab off and just tilted it on its back. Some good info the the trans stuff. Guess I better tear into mine someday soon. I've got 2 350's and a 400. I was hoping out of the 3 one would work.

Last edited by daverod; 08-08-2009 at 09:25 AM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote