The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Sniper X

I kinda feel bad for having a clutch done...

I could do it myself, but at this point at work we are soo busy, and I am still doing the work on my land so am at a point where not only taking a whole day off and roping a buddy in to help for an entrie day I am thinking of having a guy do my clutch in my 1974 C20. Right now the throw out bearing is so noisey that it sounds like it is going to hit me in the mouth anytime. I had a 1965 GTO once back in the day that was all pumpped up, had a SD421 in it and a Borg Warner Power Brute clutch. About a month after installing the BW clutch, the throw out bearing started to go out prematurely. It began just making a whirring noise, then at stop lights it would screetch at me when i pushed in the clutch, and then not make any noise when I let the clutch out. the beater is doing almost exactly the same thing.

BUT, one day at a stop sign, the clutch on the GTO just plain blew up and parts flew thru the floor! One piece of the disc almost hit me in the face, it was so close to my face as it went screaming by, the thing put a red mark on my cheek even though it didn't actually hit me. And it put a outward dent in the roof so bad it almost made a hole there.

So, I really want to change the clutch right away. got a quote of $435.00 for everything including a HD clutch kit with a 1 year parts and labor warranty...so that is only about $225.00 more than it would cost me to do it.

Last edited by Sniper X; 08-17-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote