The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #27
noonzor

Re: LS1 Build Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
I can't say I have seen too many 400+rwhp 5.3/80E/12bolt NA setups. My little alum 5.7 was making 428rwhp through an 80E/12bolt with a factory LS6 intake and stock ported TB. The bore on a 5.3 kills them NA. That's also the killer for the 5.7 vs a 6.0 or even 6.2.

The larger bore allows some unshrowding of the intake valve allowing better flow. Look at any head that has flow data for both a 3.9 and 4.0 bore and you'll see the numbers go up quite a bit. The larger bore is always going to be easier to make power with if staying NA.

If I was building a NA motor or even N20 motor for a 200-250hit, from scratch on a semi budget, I'd go find a LS3 block, shove a set of diamond pistons in it with the factory crank. Pick up a set of used ported heads and spec a cam based on that. Sure you might be in the longblock at about $3,500-4,000 but you'll also be 70lbs lighter and where better can you have it than right over the front end. You'll also be ableto hit it hard with a 250 hit.

Lack of weight over the front makes large differences when trying to make something work.
....so what your saying is....? haha sorry im just not sure im understanding. i drank a lot of beer last nite my brain may just not be computing properly today sorry. im not totally interested in nitrous, if im going power-adder itll be some sort of forced induction system only.
noonzor is offline   Reply With Quote