The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
terd ferguson

Distributor Seal Is Leaking, Help...

I posted this on the hamb, but no suggestions have worked yet. Here's the deal. I swapped intake manifolds and valve covers. I had old factory ('80) valve covers and a newer Edelbrock Torker. These came off in favor of finned Corvette valve covers and an older Edelbrock Torker intake manifold. I drilled the manifold for a PCV valve.

When I put it back together, I used the old distributor seal. It leaked. I got a new seal and used some silicone, I think I ran it before it fully set. It leaked again. I got a new gasket and cleaned everything with brake cleaner and installed the new gasket dry. It still leaked. I had the suggestion of using two gaskets, so I tried that using gasket adhesive to hold the two together. It still leaked. That's where I am now.

Here's what I know. It didn't leak before the swap. It is not leaking at the valve covers. It is not leaking at the oil pressure sending unit. It is not leaking at the pcv valve or grommet at the back of the intake manifold. I am nearly positive it's not leaking at the rear of the intake manifold (RTV was used for the ends). The distributor is factory HEI from 1980. The mounting surfaces of the intake and dizzy seem fine.

Here's what I plan to do tomorrow. I got a new hold down bracket and another gasket. I'm going to see if that makes a difference. I thought maybe the hold down bolt hole was a teeny bit further away not allowing the hold down to put enough pressure on the dizzy to stop a leak. I also plan to check the distributor seating with no gasket to make sure it is fully seating.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss. The only other thing I know to do is to remove and reinstall the intake just in case the end seal didn't seal. I just don't think that's it because I don't really see oil being blown out the back and up then forward to around the distributor mounting hole. The leak is what I'd call pretty heavy. It will have a saucer sized drip on the pavement in a short time and after a short drive.

So help me out please. I'm almost at wits end. I'm open to any suggestion. If you suggest RTV on the gasket, tell me how I can set the timing without ruining the RTV seal. Anything else? Let's hear it.

And thanks in "advance" for the help. I hope this question isn't "retarded".

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote