The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
purewhitemp5

black gooey tar like substance

Ok I finally got out to work on the truck today , task at hand was to remove the household carpet padding........yes you read right........ that is stuck to the floor by some sort of black gooey tar like substance. Now it wouldn't have been bad if just the perimeter was held down by this stuff , but it looks like it was coated on the floor ..... anywhere from 1/16 to 1/4 inch thick.... all over the floor.
I have no problems removing " The Padding " because all you have to do is breathe on it and it crumbles , but what I am left with is this gooey (and I meen gooey) substance that resembles the black stuff they put on the plastic vapor barrier to keep it sealed to the door.

To make a long story short anybody have any idea how to remove this stuff? I have been told to take a 500 watt halogen work light , place it on the other side of the panel and let it sit for 5-mins and then scrap the " Goo " off and then repeat. I also have been told to use oven cleaner , but I tried a small 6" by 6" section sprayed it down good and let it sit for an hour , came back started scraping and the oven cleaner barely put a dent in it , same with degreaser and gas. Heck I am about ready to slap some GOJO with pumice on there and go at it with a scrub brush.....since that's the only way it came off my hands.

So anyone have any ideas ??........Help ...........SOS.........glub!! glub!!

Last edited by purewhitemp5; 09-02-2009 at 03:08 AM.
purewhitemp5 is offline   Reply With Quote