The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 48 Build Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildinga55 View Post
I use Spies Hecker products and normally I would strip parts to the bare metal with a DA or chemical or blasting. But in this case the blue paint was fairly new by the previous owner. The parts had been stripped to the bare metal prior to his painter painting the truck blue. Therefore, I block sanded the blue paint and used it somewhat as a primer to fill the low spots. Then I used the Spies sealer directly over the old paint and a few bare metal spots. The Spies 8590 is a excellent sealer and is designed to seal over old paint, bodywork and some bare metal and keeps anything under it from bleeding through. The sealer also gives you a good base to do any filler work that you might need to do. Any parts I have that I needed to strip to the bare metal will be shot with etch and then sealer. Then I applied a couple coats of Spies 5310 high build primer. That was the final coats last night. Next I will fog the panels as a guide coat and start block sanding looking for any low or high spots that might need filler or attention. Then block sand and block sand some more. That part seems like never ends. The more time you put in on the body prep the better your results will be.
Thanks for the detail. I've got plenty of dumb questions. What pops out to me from your explanation is how do you "block sand" things like those curvy fenders? I'd love to see pictures of your fog coating and how you go about sanding/knowing when to lay on more high build primer and when its "good enough" to move on to paint.

Do you agree to the general rule of thumb to stay with one manufacturer's line of products or will you change for your final paint?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote