The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

How To..... Paint/Dye Match Vinyl

my '69 was cursed from the factory with aqua visors, visor brackets, and visor keepers. if that wasn't bad, it was also cursed with a non-reproduced-color dash pad, steering wheel, and vinyl bench seat material.

I looked all over for good used pieces that would match, but came to a conclusion that I was going to need to paint or dye original or repopped pieces.

I painted an original dashpad a few weeks back and it turned out great! so with the lessons I learned, I thought I'd document my visor recolor so others can have an interior that finally matches too.

I'd like to try armpads and a seat sometime to see how this paint would hold up to constant use, but visors and dashpads are great candidates for method.

here we go.

first you need necessities. beer, garage, vinyl paint, Bulldog (details later), and Smokey and the Bandit......

remove the bracket and the aluminum rod from the visors. it will take a twisting action and should be difficult. after I had these pieces taken out of the visors, I blasted the paint off of the brackets and polished the rods with a bit of steel wool. here's the rods after I polished one......

next step is to evaluate your existing visors. trim loose threads or burn them to melt. mine original visors started to unravel at the seam, so I took them to an upholstery shop and have them restitched. $50 for both.

next is to clean the years of dirt and Armour All off the visors. a good dish detergent and a steel wool pad is used......

scrub, scrub, scrub.......

and set out to dry, THOROUGHLY......

I had the paint custom mixed at a local paint shop (thanks True Auto of Merriam, KS) and picked up a can of BULLDOG adhesion promoter. this stuff is expensive, but well worth it!

lightly coat the visor with Bulldog. wait 2 minutes, and coat again lightly. make sure the coverage is complete. now let dry for 10 minutes. the surface will be slightly tacky at this time......

now it time for color. several light coats dry and set up MUCH better than one heavy coat; light coats to adhere to the vinyl better......

set the visors out to dry. it will take several days for the paint to cure onto the vinyl. reinstall.

I'll try to get some pics of the final product tomorrow.

remember. Bulldog and patience...... and a brew or six.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote