The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
67ss&99ss
Andy

Drove my truck for the first time!

I'm happy. This past friday, I drove my 69 CST/10 for the very first time! I have had it for about 9 years, so it definately felt great. I haven't worked on the truck much since I've had it until this year. I pulled the original motor out a while back, and put a crate 350 in its place, redone the entire brake system and I put a set of old tires I had off of previous truck on to this truck's steelies just to get it mobile. I'm surpised at how well it drove to be a manual steering, manual drum brake truck.

I do have some questions about the brakes though. My brake pedal has a lot of travel to it, and I'm not sure why. The truck stops, but not well in my opinion. The brake pedal is firm, but it goes all the way to the floor when I stop. Is this normal for a manual drum brake truck? I got in the brakes really hard to see what would happen and it locked the back tires up but not the front. The truck has a new master cylinder, which I bench bled, brake shoes, wheel cylinders, brake hoses all new hardware inside the drums but the adjusters themselves. I did disassemble the adjusters to clean them and I put white lithium grease on the threads and the end the short pin slips on. I adjusted the brakes until there was a little resistance on the drums as I turned them and before I pulled out of the driveway, I backed the truck up several times, and hit the brakes so that they would adjust out any further if needed. Is there something I'm overlooking?

I bled the wheel cylinders starting from the back right, then back left, then front right, then the front left. I'm not getting any air at any wheel cylinder that I am aware of.
2005 Duramax 2500HD 4x4
67ss&99ss is offline   Reply With Quote