The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
shrtbx

results from a rear end swap

Hey guys,
Finally got my truck back from oklahoma. I had to leave it up there after i made the drive from los angeles in december for a family issue. Truck ran great going cross country.

Only thing that sort of bothered me was the rearend. I have read on here that the 700r4 with 3:08s really arent really that efficient as far as the powerband goes. I average 16 mpg on the highway but i felt like the engine was lugging. I had to keep on the gas alot to keep it up to speed. In low mountain ranges i had to dang near keep it open just to get up them. I really think i can squeeze another 1 or 2 mpg if i upgrade to a 3:42 and get a lil more get up on inclines. It just seems like my engine is working harder than it needs to. Anyone have any actual results from switching out their gears. I would like to hear them.

I run a stock 350 with edelbrock 1406 carb and edelbrock performer manifold. Hooker headers etc etc
shrtbx is offline   Reply With Quote