The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
1969custom10

New to Forum- Welcome

Good Morning:

As background, my skill set stops at changing oil. Fortunately, I have a brother-in-law with a sweet shop and extensive knowledge; however, I need to try things on my own to expand my skills. He hooked me up with a 69 chevy truck for a fair price. I wanted a truck to haul a few items here and there- not a daily driver. Now, after reading posts and getting involved, I have an urge to do more with my truck... and hoping to get assistance from y'all. I don't want to lean on my brother-in-law too much... until I need to change out my Optispark (the new extent of my motor knowledge).

Obviously, someone started restoring the truck before I bought it. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't in decent shape (due to my lack of skills). I heard restoration began in Alabama, then sat outside for five years with a new owner, then found it's way here to NC, and now in my driveway. Anyone seen it before or know the history?

I'm considering body work to protect it because it sits outside. The picture does not show half the scratches, pits, keyed door, primered fender, etc., nor does it show the black-painted frame. I can hear the body rusting at night. The bed has some rot and will be replaced later (I have wood tools and skills).

How do I start? My greatest concern is the metal lip around the roof. Hasn't rusted through but some spots appear "deep." What tools do I use for light rust, heavy rust, etc.? Grit size? Any tips for a newbie? What are the fundamental/basic tools I need to remove rust? For rust-through (i.e., rocker panel & cab corners), I'll take the truck to a body shop (when money comes available of course). Again, I know nothing about vehicle care/maintenance and have no tools, but have time and elbow grease. Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images

1969custom10 is offline   Reply With Quote