The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
bamafrost

Newbie needs helpful advice

FNG from Alabama (1968 C10 Fleetside shorty)

Hi'yall…

Just joined, so let the hazing begin. Hahaha

Just bought a project C10 (for $2300) that I have big plans for…and I could use some advice from all you guys that have "been there, done that". I am not that mechanically inclined by I will try doing much of the work myself and with gearhead buds to save bucks. Just don't want to make any stupid and costly misteaks (oops, see what I mean…mistakes).

Currently has a newly rebuilt 305/2 bbl and 350TH in it…but I am having a 700R4 gone through and plan to install it. I am doing a driver that'll get good mpg.

The C10 needs the usual…cab corners, maybe doors (I'll get '72 as they are better I am told due to notched area for vent wing lever) as patch panels and labor would probably be a push $-wise.

I want to do a few things, so I'll list them and ask for advice on those:

1) I want to install a 700R4 trans…aside from trans cross member will it just bolt in place and clear bottom of cab trans tunnel?

2) I want to install CST buckets and console…but could use a lead on same and any advice on fitment of a low-back/no headrest split bench set-up out of a later model Chevy truck.

3) I want to move gas tank to the back…what's the best/most cost-effective tank/kit?
I don't want to look like a side order @ Popeye's Chicken.

4) Want advice on conservative lowering as I don't want to effect caster/camber too badly. I was thinking a 3/4." coil drop (?) Are springs the best way…or dropped spindles on the front and what on the rear. Will probably run either 16" IROC chrome rims all around…or 15" Torque Thrust II's.

5) I want to go to 12" Power discs on the front (5 on 5).

Wow…that's a lot of stuff for such a non-mechanical newbie to ask of you guys. But, please help out this old and confused gearhead. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!! Tom
bamafrost is offline   Reply With Quote