The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
T/C

My 1970 GMC SWB Build

Okay so i am new here... I started off with a few threads asking questions and talking about what i have done ect. . People well.. One person told me to keep them updated with pictures... And i enjoy talking about the things that i have done.. So i figured i would save everyone from having to look threw countless threads by me started about my truck and i will keep all my questions and pictures in here!... Now for starters my grammar is not the best.. Sorry if it bothers anyone but its not going to change and i dont care to here about it

Now about the truck..

I got the truck two weeks ago... Had been looking for a box body chevy (73-87) Because i figured a 67-72 in the shape i was looking for would be out of my price range.. I went to check out another truck at a guys house that i was told the body was in great shape and needed little work other then some body panels put back on And that it had a new 327 with double hump carb... bunch of fun stuff but when i got there Although it was a super nice motor the rest of the truck was trashed rust everywhere wiring harness was sitting in the big pile of parts... I did not have the time for a project like this then i saw a black swb gmc sitting in the front and started talking to him about it... He had picked it up because he also did not want to have to put the amount of work needed in to the other truck... I had just drove 2 hours to check out the other POS so i figured it would not be that big of a deal to ask him if he was willing to sell that truck.. He said yes! Lol first step was done so i asked what his bottom doller was... He told me 4k.. My budget was 3k i sold my stunt bike for 3k and did not want to spend anymore then that... So we started talking about the truck more and then he told me to go drive it and see what i thought.. Adding this in so sorry if its random but the truck also has a 2 year old GM Creat motor and a rebuilt turbo 350 transmission (Me being the impulsive buyer i am) Did not want to drive the truck and get myself worked up if he would not sell it for what i had to spend... So i told him i only had 3k and thats all i could spend on it he thought about it a little but then said okay to the deal he said he needed the money His loss my gain.. Soooo... We got the truck..

Now about what was wrong with the truck ... That i could see..

1) The bed was ... To put it as nice as i can.. In horrible shape.. starting with the inside of the bed... they made the floor out of 11ga. sheet... So it rattled like no other and the body lines were off... And this was a LWB Truck first so it is also not the original bed (They got another bed and did not just cut down the org.) The bed is covered in bondo and its the worst job i have ever seen i think a 8 year old . could have done better... there are small dings all over it and the right side has been bent a little where the bumper should be.. lol back up light is missing just a bunch of little things that add up... not sure if i will be going with a new bed or what... but for now its a job thats down the road so i am not worried about it...

2) The inside was kinda trashy but not wrecked

3) Wheels and tires

4)Well thats the thing other then a few little things the truck seemed great... Seemed is a key word Lol

Okay that was the things we noticed the first day...

Here is a list of things we discovered..

1) That night we drove it to my Girls parents house and on the way home the head light bright switch shorted out and we lost all of are lights on the highway Lol.... Had her dad come let us follow him home and we got a new switch from another car.. no big deal

2) Started smelling gas... Like to the point that my head was starting to hurt... So started looking and there was 3 small leaks on the in cab tank... no big deal just going to find a tank that will fit from another car and work something up to fix that and have it in the bed..

3) When you get going over 30 there was a major vibration (More on that in a few)

Okay so I started by pulling the bed out and getting some small wood blocks to line the body up (Ended up being 5/8s to get everything right (I have been told that the bed should be 5/8 think) So i guess thats why it worked

after that i got to work on the inside... Made me some door pannels cleaned the carpet up... put a radio in the dash and some old vents for now to fill up the holes... and welded up my seat brackets for the late chevy seats that it has in it... They will be mounted after i figure out for sure what i am doing with the gas tank...

Also stripped all the rust off the frame and everything else under the bed that was all rusty and went over it with a wire brush then primed and painted it all. (Did not do the rear end cause it will be coming out and i am just going to sand blast it or something...

Anyways i had to rush the first week to finish the inside and finish with the frame and everything to clean it up cause i wanted to go to a car show that weekend with my cousin... Got everything done and made it to the show and me and my cousin won are classes! Good start imo Lol

BUT on the way there i noticed transmission fluid was leaking from my drive shaft and covering everything... and when we were parked at the show fluid was going everywhere...

Got home and started checking and it was a bad rear seal... I did not check all that well cause it was dark but the next morning i put some fluid in it and took it to are shop so i could get a better look.. we took the Drive shaft out and the U Joints were wack... the whole thing was out of balance and too short... it being to short was not letting it in to the transmission where it needed to be and it wore out the seal and a few other things (I forget what the thing behind the seal is called lol I am just learning all the mech. stuff my step dad is a master mechanic and tells me how to do everything as he sits there and watches so i am learning! Anyways got the new Drive shaft and the transmission stuff all fixed today and drove it back to work and all the vibrations are gone and it drives awesome!

Now for my plans...

The truck is going to stay flat black and pin stripped till i can pay for a good black paint job (That will be awhile Lol)

I pretty much have the inside done other then some fine detailing... I will improve on it as parts come my way.. I dont have all the money in the world i am 20 just got my first house that me and my girlfriend live together in... AKA I have bills now...

The truck will be lowered but i am not changing anything till i get my wheels and tires on it.. Going with 20's maybe black i am not sure will have a chrome rim around the edge though so it wont blend in with the black truck to much if i do go that way..

bed is being worked on right now doing some reinforcing to the frame and cleaning everything up while the bed is off... going to be a plywood floor with alum. diamond plate on top...

The motor is staying all stock for now... Other then i am going to put some headers on it cause i am going to redo the exhaust so it is not the low point on my truck and i want to go with 2.5'' pipe and not the 1'5 it has...same as everything else as money comes my way improvements will be made.. I will post up some pictures of the truck when i got it and the progress i have made so far and then keep everyone updated from there... and i am also sure i have forgot to put somethings in here some of you may want to know so ask away!

For now i am out of here! No internet at home so will get everything added in the morning that i left out
T/C is offline   Reply With Quote