The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
rogergodding

Used my "project" for work today....

My truck I usually work out of is a nissan(good on gas). It needs a transmission, so I loaded up my 71GMC to get some work done. Thought I had enough gas...... I was wrong! But I keep a can with gas in the bed just in case. (Gas gage not working) I haven't driven this truck more than 10 miles at a time for the past few years, but today I had to go 45. I can tell if I am low on gas because the electric fuel pump will rattle but at highway speeds I could not hear it, I just felt the loss of horsepower and knew we were out.... pulled over and proceeded to add fuel..... then the engine died. As lovers of these trucks know their querks, I know that my starter is weak when hot, so I did not really want it to die..... So I commenced to kill the battery and flood the carb all at once after that. Dammit. Then the nice guy that pulled over to give me a hand got his suv stuck in the mud next to me on the shoulder I thought no way this is happening!!! But he knew how to drive his vehicle and got it unstuck after about 5 minutes...... got a jump start and was on my way!!! Sorry for the long text...... Just remember to help others when you can......
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote