The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
coloradosean2009

Stop, think and don't panic

Tonight I was enjoying a brewski at a friend's house. As some of you know, we have an early winter storm moving into the west. As I sat, drinking my beer and watching the weather get bitter, I thought about how much I love my classic vehicle. Naturally, when I left the warm comfort of my friend's couch and keg, I ran into a little problem.

I had been ignoring the warning signs of a clogged fuel filter for a few days. While I knew something was "not right" with start-up and shut-down, I did not bother to put 2 and 2 together. Of course, since it is 28 outside with 30+ mph wind gusts, now is the time that she decides to clog up.

After I calm my wife down from the failed start; I stop and think.... why did my old faithful pickup not start? "It must be the fuel filter" I think out loud.

Thankfully, I knew this time was going to come, so I previously put my flashlight and screwdriver in the glove box. I just did not want it to happen when it was but as$ cold outside and I am wearing my nice work clothes.

Since the filter was clogged and I was cranking on the old gal, she was good and flooded. Now, all the cranking in the world did not get her moving. Again, I stopped and thought about the basics. "It is cold outside and the engine is flooded.... I bet she is way too rich."

So, with the wife behind the key, I removed the air filter and held open the choke. "Hit it" I told my wife. With just a little cranking, she came to life. 30 seconds later, she had blew about 10 oz of fuel out the tail pipe and I was back in business.

I figure there is two morals to this story:

(1) when your faithful pickup tells you that something is "up".... listen to her or else she will wait until the most inconvenient time to have a break down.

(2) when you do have a problem out on the road, stop and think about the basics. Like my shop teacher said "a combustion engine has basic life functions, fuel-compression-spark... if she don't run, it must be one of them that has failed." Once you think it through, you will be back on the road in no time.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote