The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
iliveintn

NP203 Questions....Help Me!!

For starters I bought the thing abandoned so I got no explanation of how the 4wd works or what they had even done to it, hence the newbie-ness, and the shift pattern for the 203 is nowhere to be found in the thing.

Okay so I have a 72 blazer with a NP203. It has front lockout hubs so I'm guessing it has the part time 4wd kit installed in the 203. If it does what is the process to unlock the front? Earlier this week I was messing around with it and put it in 4wd for the first time since i've had it. The hubs were really really hard to turn but I finally got them locked. I put it into the different 4wd gears but noticed something kinda weird.

I pushed the stick as far forward as I could and I put it in gear and regardless of how much gas I gave it it just would slowly lurch at the same speed (very slow....less than 2MPH).

After I was done messing around I put the xfer case in neutral, unlocked the hubs, and reversed it a good 30 or 40 feet. It seems like it is riding the same speed/RPMs as usual but the front driveshaft is still spinning.

What do i need to do to unlock the front? Also what is the best way to tell if the case is full time or part time 4wd? I realize the lockout hubs point me in the direction but who knows, people do some strange stuff.
iliveintn is offline   Reply With Quote