The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
67stepsideC10

1979 1/2 ton GMC - need advice on upgrades (lowering, grille, etc)

Hello everyone.

I sold my 67 stepside project truck because i needed the money in order to become a missionary. I bought a 79 gmc 1/2 ton last week really cheap, just a daily driver no nonsense truck. Its white with inline 6 cyl, 3 spd on column, power nothing. rusted in typical places.

Anyway, i need advice in a few areas.

FIRST - lowering.
I bought the truck from my girlfriend's dad. He had a set of flip brackets for the rear. He said he was gonna cut the front springs and install the flip kit, which I would like to do. Any idea how low that will go? Can anyone post a pic? I looked at lowered trucks on here, is it a 5/6 drop?

SECOND - grille.
The grille on this thing is hideous. Any suggestions. I want to keep "GMC" or do away with it altogether, but open to suggestions.

THIRD - gauges.
The dash lights won't light up when you turn the headlights on, so I cant see the speedo or fuel gauge at night. Any suggestions? Where would the fuse for that be? If not, i it hard to replace the bulbs?

That's all for now. I apologize if these are stupid questions, i'm just a college kid without anyone else to really ask for advice on this stuff.

Will post pics tomorrow!
67stepsideC10 is offline   Reply With Quote