The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Stew215

No oil to heads....396

I have a 396 in my 72 and i have no oil pumping to the top of the motor...

well i took the intake and valve covers off to fix a lifter tap. the previous owner didn't tighten one enough and it had enough room to tap a bit.

when i took the intake off i noticed a bronze looking material in the oil around the heads. i figured it was from that lifter so i pulled the lifter out and where the rod sits on the lifter a piece broke off.

I figured the material might have been from the piece of the lifter... so i tried to put the motor back together with a new lifter.. the lobe on the cam looked fine with no wear marks so i thought i would give it a band aid untill i save up money for a complete overhaul

when i put it back together i primed the engine and noticed it was very hard to turn like there was a block in the oil system. Then i decided to take off a value cover again and try to prime it again and i had nothing coming out of the rockers.

I started the motor to see if anything would change and it did not so i quickly shut it off so i would not wear out the parts.

i was wondering if anyone has had this problem or any guesses on what it could be .. i am hoping it is not a spun bearing

-Thanks, Chris