The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: 1970 VA Longbed Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted78SS View Post
I like the look, any idea of how much time or trouble it will take you to get that affect?

I am interested in how your doing your tank and compressor mounting as well, I had better go back over the thread if you covered it already. I have 2 3gal. tanks and two compressors. Not sure if I need 2 of each, or maybe split them between my two projects. - thoughts?
Gonna take a couple hours...it will be under 100 total labor...probably closer to 60 or so if I do the final grinding.

I am mounting one 5 gallon tank behind where the gas tank mounts (I have the room since it's a longbed) finished the mounts last night. Ended up flipping the tank from the way I first had it to have the bungs for the air lines facing up to avoid water issues. I will be mounting both compressors at the very rear of the frame, one on each side, close enough to run the leader hoses directly into the tank to save on fittings and possible locations of leaks.

On your project, I'd do both. One comp and one 3 gallon would lead to the compressor constantly being on.....and waiting for it to fill if you were playing with buttons on the street or at a show....
If I was running two and not running the frame mounted battery box like I am, I would place the tanks behind the cab on the flat part of the framerails and then mount the compressors behind them directly plumbed in. I have seen others do this and it fits well there and looks nice from underneath as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331grunt View Post
I think it's one of those "Might as well..." moments! I say it looks good.
One of many so far on this build

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
So does almost everyone else I put up a poll and the vote so far is 15 to 2 for doing it.... I had already made my mind up in actuality...just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy to do it