The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
KrazyRay

72 Chevy Pickup Bed Trailer

A couple months ago, a board member asked if anyone had made a trailer out of the back half of a truck. I have made a few of them. Here's one I did this weekend.
I pulled the cab off and removed the brake and fuel lines. Then I cut off the rivets holding the front cab mounts and exhaust hanger.
I cut the frame just in front of the cab mounts and measured 36 1/2 inches from the frame cut to the relief cuts to fold the frame together. Also, I cut small angles at the front to give me an inch or so to weld the frame rails together.
Next, I took the angle grinder to joint prep for the welds.
It may not be as pretty, but I prefer lap welds over butt welds where the frame folds. To make the laps, I grab a ford tool and beat one part of the lap down and the other part up. I weld the frame fronts together and the 5000lb. A-frame coupler fits the angle almost perfect. I will get pics as soon as the site will allow.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote