The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

some news on no power saga.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365777

that’s the first post..

i pulled off the timing chain cover with great hopes of seeing dots not lined up, but knowing they were.. what did i find?

so i started taking the intake off to prep pulling the cam... i have argued a few times with people far more knowledgeable than me with motors that i thought the problem was a vacuum leak. i always got a..no no no,, wouldn’t cause that..

i did have one friend of mine, a lonnnnnng time race guy motor head say he thought i was what he called a flapper. that is a intake gasket that was not sat right and was hanging in side of the motor. at an idle there was no leak, but under power the extra vacuum would pull the gasket away from the metal causing a massive leak. (the crack is in the paint)

i think he may be right. these a photos of the front of the motor, intake gasket. the end twisted up, and was hanging inside. on the underside of the intake there is grease/dirt streaks (i did rub some away when i touched it)

soooo i guess i go buy a gasket set, and pull all this back together and see what happens..

if its not the problem, still an interesting education.

Last edited by mtdave2; 11-09-2009 at 01:55 PM.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote