The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
AJLChase

Starter ate my flywheel me thinks

Yeah, so I was having issues starting my truck and that lead me to pulling out the starter and having it tested and finding that it was bad. Well, once I had the starter out I noticed that sections of the flywheel had it's teeth ground down and so did the teeth on the starter. On the bottom of the pan that covered the bottom of the flywheel there was a ton of metal shavings. So, I put in the new starter, and had a lot of the same old problems and then now the starter just spins with no contact with the fly wheel what so ever. Needless to say, truck doesn't start.

So, talking to a few friends I've found that this is going to be a big job to replace the fly wheel. A job that I am not skilled enough to do or that I know of anyone who would want to spend the time to get involved in changing the flywheel. My questions are these. How much do you estimate it to cost to have some one replace the fly wheel at a shop? Also, would it be best to have the engine rebuilt being that it's going to take so long to tear it all apart? The engine runs, it's obviously old as it's the original 327 and I would hate to spend all that money on the labor to only have something else go wrong that would cause my truck to be on a lift for upwards of 8 hours.

Thoughts appreciated!
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote