The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
jhnpldng

poorboy's 64 GMC build

64 GMC 1500 + 66 Chevy C10 + 87 K2500 + 93 S10 Blazer = MaBaby. Not one of those siiick, super custom jobs. Just looking to have a cool work truck. If I ever go all out on something it will have to be a car because I use my trucks like trucks.

Here it is shortly after hauling it back from MO two years after moving to FL. Long two years I tell ya. This pic is getting ready to convert it to a K series with the help of an 87 K2500 parts truck. Also gave me Power disc brakes and power steering.

Talk about luck. The 87 12 bolt corp axle was 4.10 ratio just like the dana 60 on the rear of the truck.

Here it is after bringing it home with PS, PB and a sway bar. Much more driveable. Also patched up the front fenders and threw a coat of cheap gray primer over the multiple colors to make it less of an eyesore.

Finally moved out of downtown to a couple of acres just outside of town. Room to breath and work. Pulled the bed and cab and revamped the frame. Also put a vortec 4.3 in it with 4L60E, wiring and computer from a 93 S10 blazer I got for 200. Scrap prices were real high at the time so I got 300 for scrapping the blazer. Got the blazer cheap because it needed a tranny solenoid for 2-3. Also had a little rust. Eventually I'll get a vortec 5.7 for it. Would really like to do the 5.7 marine intake swap onto it also.

Recognize the 14x20 building from one of the earlier pics? I pulled that to the new place with the truck. Gawwd I love my truck.
Digging through the rodents nest of the 66 C10 parts truck I bought for 200 for bedsides I found a box at the bottom of the pile and it had every piece of brand new rubber for the truck. Even had both big and small back window seals. Also vent window rebuild seals. I still need to do the bedsides but threw it back together to drive for now. I did get the inside of the cab painted after patching the floors when it was apart. I actually threw it back together without the bed at first just so I could pull home a 5th wheel. Hey, a $200 5th wheel. I couldn't pass it up. Especially since I already had the $10 hitch. Gotta love ebay sometimes.

Really wished I'd have had a V8 towing that 5th wheel home but being a pomofo it'll have to wait. The cpi vortec 4.3 doesn't look too bad in there though. Beats the slap worn out 80s 250 with integral head and TH250 tranny that were in there. Just got the main harness put through a proper hole in the firewall. It was hanging on the zip tie and going through the heater hole.

Kinda fits the firewall shape. Of course so do the TPI vette motors but this is a low budget work truck build. The tires I want cost more than what I've got in the truck so far.

64 GMC 1500: $250
87 K2500: $200
93 Blazer: $200 + 50 for 2-3 shift solenoid and scrapped blazer for $300 = -50
66 C10: $200
Primer, paint and misc: $200.
Getting compliments and stares in an old dented and rusty truck: Priceless

Tires will be a grand or so unless I find a deal on some good used ones.
Blazer was 2wd so I still need a 4wd 4L60E but I do have the NP231 that came with the 87 K2500. Would prefer NP205 of course.
For gauges I'm looking at autometer arctic white which will be close to 300.
The rest of the paint and body materials will be 400 or so.
Chrome: 2 bumpers@200 each, long side moldings are 200 and the only ones I'm keeping. It was a custom cab but that crap around the door windows is just too busy. Back bumper can wait but it's rusty bad on the inside.

Last edited by jhnpldng; 11-22-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Missing pics
jhnpldng is offline   Reply With Quote