The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Fat Mike

Frame swap

Looking for advise on a frame swap for a 59 chevy apache. I read all the threads and am confused on which way to go? I would like to go the mustang 2 frontend but don't have alot of extra money. Luckily my friend has fabricated this front end thou so maybe I can find a pinto and use the rest of the suspension from that? The other idea is that I keep seeing that everyone is using the s-10 for this frame swap with out alot of fabrications. I have a s-10 frame that I am trying to decide if I want for my 59 or 47 chevy truck. The main reason for the swap is because the stock frame that I had was butchered. I sent it to a friend's friend that had supposedly been doing this for some twenty years and he grafted (HA-HA) a 76- camaro frontend to it. It had gaps between the welds and when i asked him if this was normal, knowing it wasn't, he said yeah. I stood on it and could hear it cracking. Sure I am 300 lbs but come on. Yeah this is my first build but i can't get a break. I paid $800 and didn't get anything back. So then I started looking on craiglist for parts and found a guy that said he had worked for fatman fabrications. Finally, abreak I was looking for but he cut the subframe of the other frame rewelded it to a frame that he had and that where the trouble started. I wanted a c-notch like porterbuilt does and a camaro frontend. The frontend he cut the cross member out leaving about 1" on both side of the a-arm mounts because he was trying to shorten the subframe to the frame instead the other way around. then he cut the back end off so he could c-notch. he called me and said come get your stuff I am getting a divorce. I raced to go get my stuff but I don't know what for. Please be patient with me. Looking for frineds and advise. I will try to get some picture posted soon. THANKs:
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote