The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Rokcrln

LFD's 41 chevy Project "Fill-in"

Since we don't have a section for the real old stuff I figured I would post it here so any LFD fan can see some of my other work. I call this project Fill-in because it has been sitting in my shop for going on 2 yrs now because it was supposed to just be fill-in work to keep busy. It belongs to a friend of my wife's and I have been so busy with other work I never had a slow time to work on it for any good length of time. Well that time has come!

I finished my frame table a few months ago in preparation for this job (then my Tahoe next) so I would have a flat surface to work from. The table is leveled with a lazer and is with in 1/32" and the top of the table represents the ground so all measurements come off the top rail as 0'-0". I have the lazer set up for dead center as well so it makes getting things even real easy.

So far I have had the frame blasted then I boxed it in with 3/16" plate (these frames are very thin and flimsy) front to just behind the IRS unit. I installed a TCI tubular MII kit up front with Bags, Power Rack and a sway bar. Then out back I am we are doing a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII 8.8" IRS with aluminum center section and lower arms also on bags and the factory sway bar was able to be used as well. It has a pumped up 350/400 combo and the body is very strait and rust free. Our goal is to eliminate all frame flex and let the suspension do all the work like it should.

Today I started the tubular back bone of the chassis and I used 1 1/2" .095 and .120 wall tube. The top tube is flush with the top of the frame and the bottom tube is 3 1/2" below the lower rail so that way it is flush with the bottom of the running boards. This will help protect the fiber glass running boards and it also allows enough room for the air tanks and exhaust to run in the tube structure and frame rails. The clearance on the drive shaft is very tight but since it is an IRS I didn't need to worry about travel clearance.

Next I will install the poly tank in back and get my order list together for brake and fuel lines and the exhaust system. I hope to have the chassis in paint in about 2 weeks.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-04-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote