The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
chicklin

Engine pinging?

I adjusted my valves last night and everything seems to be running fine. Took it for a test drive last night and it felt fine. Today, I noticed a ticking noise coming from the passenger side of the motor. I popped the hood and when I goose the throttle pretty good, it ticks from under that valve cover.

Now, the first thing I thought was I left one too loose. But, I did them all the exact same way and there's no noise from the other side and it runs just fine. Also, I'm pretty sure I have hydraulic lifters so you'd think if it was close it would pump up and be quiet.

The other thing I thought, though, is that a few nights ago I set the timing via vaccum gauge and ended up with it advanced to about 14 btdc. It's been running fine like that for several days, but is there a chance that by adjusting the valves that 14 btdc is too far advanced, now, and causing it to ping?

Also, I don't exactly know what pinging sounds like, but I've read it described as dumping BB's on sheet metal and that's exactly what it sounds like. Then again, that's kind of what a ticking lifter sounds like, too, isn't it?

What do you think?