The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
suprachrgd82
Farmtruck desciple

Suprachrgd82's 70 BB Longhorn fixxer-upper project

One of my father's friends recently past away, and left his widow with this truck. He was the original owner. As I am told, it is a 1-ton single rear wheel.
Pops asked me if I would be interested in a truck with a great engine. I said "Sure, I'll buy it", without looking at the truck. The story was that it has a fresh rebuilt BBC with 500hp, $5k invested in the motor. They guy ran a Kragen Autoparts store, so how could I go wrong?

I should have known my life better than that. I brought it home in February, after pouring 4 quarts of tranny fluid in the TH400. When I got home, I pulled the intake manifold and valve covers for a look. Beneath the rattlecan orange, I found ProComp aluminum heads and roller everything. I also found a missing pushrod, and 2 loose pushrods. The alternator and power steering pump were crooked, and everything but the heads used the original bolts from the original engine. The headers wouldn't cover the exhaust ports either (1 3/4 primaries)

I bought new pushrods, and lifters, stainles allen heads, headers, brackets, and have been working on it ever since. I have yet to find a billet power steeering bracket that fits. I am having one custom milled by a local custom shop. The billet passenger alternator bracket is from Black Mountain Precision. Nice piece.

Plans for the truck are to make a "nice work truck". Slightly custom, not show quality, but still haul stuff around. The body will be shaved, seam in the LH bed welded, no badges, single side window. The TH400 shifts good n hard; maybe a rebuild. Engine seems good, and roasted the tires a good 20 ft on 6 cylinders and a locker diff. The dash will be welded up smooth, modern guages, new wiring. The list goes on...

Last edited by suprachrgd82; 12-06-2009 at 01:53 PM.
suprachrgd82 is offline   Reply With Quote