The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
asphaltburner

FRONT wheel drive!

Yo! Y'all!
Just out in the FRANKENTRUCK in about five or six inches of snow,…15 degrees, and in FRONT wheel drive! Did just fantastic!
Amazing how the vehicle no longer feels like a P/U when in front wheel! The truck acts like there’s more traction, steering, and acceleration available. That "slippery rear end trying to get out front" feeling just disappears.
Feels JUST like front wheel drive cars I’ve driven in the past.
I do notice that around fifty-five, I get some minor vibration that I don’t feel in RWD, but 4x4 and FWD are meant for extremes and snow, so higher speeds are not an issue. And that’s a lot of torque and horsepower to turn 180!
I’m in the midst of troubleshooting my fuel gauge/sender, so I’m doing a study of the system. I have a working '78 fuel gauge that I’ve tested using a 9V battery. Positive is right, sender left, and ground bottom. Sender open results in the gauge pegging past full, grounding it pegs the gauge below empty.
If it ever warms up a bit, I'll test my new rear half of the system (rear of the fuel sender in-line connection near the starter) with the gauge. The front half has already flunked the grounding test,...my in-dash gauge remains pegged beyong full constantly (no connection, "open"). I suspect the instrument panel plug connection,...a common source of problems in GMs.
More soon on the fuel sender business.
Todd.