The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
2bits

My new 78 Silverado

I had to sell my 71 Stepside (with a 73-79 bed) to get caught up on some bills and I wanted to get a 73-80 model to replace it. I have been looking at alot of pieces of junk this past week and I have learned that "Runs Good" is a VERY loosely used term! When I saw the ad for this truck I felt pretty good about it because everything under the hood was there, and was stock. I think this was the first truck that I looked at that actually had an air cleaner on it

When I got there this morning I knew if was gonna be good, because it is completely unmolested except for the radio area. It is a two owner truck and this guy has owned it for 10 years. It is a Silverado which means it has everything... tilt, gauges, power windows and locks, nice door panels, headliner (not ripped), cruise control, dual gas tanks, side moldings, wheel well moldings, etc. and EVERYTHING works! He started it up and you can tell is is solid. It sounded like it was new. Everything was there under the hood and around the body as it should be, the cardboard mat that sits on the floor behind the seat is still there. It even has a hood ornament.

I had to put a battery in it and I bought a radio for it today, and I need to get one center cap, but otherwise, I can just drive it. Like I said everything works! Amazing deal for $900. It runs and drives and stops perfect, is quiet on the freeway and there is no squeaking suspension at all. I drove it around for a few hours tonight and it was like a rock. I'll need to get a dashcap, and replace the windshield and there are some small rust spots on it, but the floor is solid, and the truck just feels tight.

I haven't decided if I want to go for the mag wheel and 275/60 look, or get some bigger off road tires, but that will be a little later down the line. First off is to paint the inside of the headlight buckets black and put my '73 grille on it, that will make it look tough. Oh yeah, it is not that shiny, it was wet, but I'm gonna see what a buff job will do to remove some of the oxidation.

I feel very confident in this purchase!

It's just a regular stock longbed, but that's the best thing about it, no one has messed it up...

Clean, complete engine compertment

The driver's view is cool

The interior looks pretty decent, carpet is ok. I guess I have to name it "Claudia" haha that's the guy's wifes name, but it sounds ok to me. I will not be naming it "Big Red" :roll:

Sitting at a stop light the Volts, Temp, and Oil Pressure is at it's optimal readings.
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote