The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Sierra sin fin

Th 400 tranny question

My 85 GMC has been having some transmission problems. My TH 400 transmission has 140k miles on it, the engine 60k. This summer it started occaisionally taking a few tries to get into park- I would put it in park and the truck would move with a clicking sound. A try or two or three would soon result in a slight clunk as park engaged, then that three ton plus some truck would stay nicely in place. I took a look at the linkage, and as nothing seemed ready to fall off, I chalked it up to a worn linkage. Not the most thorough troubleshooting. It has been leaking fluid of late, and I see a drop of anti freeze on the bottom of the flywheel cover (anti freeze goes down slowly). Recently, on a hill, it just was out of gear when I went to accelerate. Not a trans mount or engine mount problem, I think, as there was nothing as I touched the gas. It had magically gone from drive to neutral, it seemed. Some fooling with the shift lever got me going after a few stressed moments. That has gotten my attention. The fluid was really low, which was funny as I had added a pint a few days before. A quart seems to have stopped that problem. My next planned step is to adjust the linkage and maybe replace the half moon bushing (not sure where it goes yet-just found out about it on the phone from the local Chevy/GMC parts dept ) and I am considering adding a bottle of the Lucas transmission renewal stuff they sell at NAPA.

My questions are these: Has anyone had this sort of problem? What was it? What might it be? And has anyone tried the Lucas additive? Did it help? Do I seem on the right track? What else might I do?

Thanks for reading,
Dave