The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
Anadrol

Restore my Classic or Pimp my Ride?

Here's the scenario.
I've got this '78 truck, and my whole purpose behind buying was to own the funnest vehicle imaginable and to enjoy the process of building said vehicle.

Well, I am now at the point where I would call my truck a clean slate. It's got a great body on a solid, rust-free frame. The lift kit is complete and awesome. The motor is updated, brand new carb, running strong, and dependable. All of the electronics work, along with the heat and A/C. Bed is Rhino'd with new rail caps and a nice Weatherguard box- the one I always wanted.

The main initial priority-one mods are complete:
1. Power Locks (so that I could have a security system)

2. Power Windows (because if you're already doing power locks, why not do power windows while you're in there)

3. Security System + (so that i could have expensive electronics inside the truck) Keyless Entry + Remote Start

4. Sound Deadening throughout the cab (because I felt like there was no point in shelling out a ton of stereo upgrade time and money if the cab wasn't properly sound deadened, and i also didn't want to begin any interior upholstery, dash, trim, or carpet upgrades/projects, without doing the sound deadening project first, because it involves gutting the truck down to the bare bones, and you'd rather not have to do that a bunch of times.

If you've read this far, then you understand why I feel like I'm at the Clean Slate stage of re-doing a truck.

So here's my issue.
Whatever i do from here on must go in a certain, guided direction with an end goal in mind, and I cannot decide which way to go,

A: Modernize the truck with new amenities and a very contemporary style that incorporates the coolest toys and modern electronics, luxuries, and lots of "wow" factor. The biggest part of this direction would be that I would build a totally new fiberglass dash, incorporate all the electronics along the way, and match the rest of the truck to that dash.

B: Restore the truck, while keeping the year 1978 at the top of the priority list, and aiming to create the nicest, cleanest, most impressive 1978 K10 that I can possibly produce. Any new toys or add-ons would be planned so that they do very little, if anything to detract from the classic '78 styling.

Right now, I'm leaning towards option B, and here's why- 20 years from now, what is more desirable?

A. To have a sweet, 20 year old truck that was totally customized by me back in 2010, and has the coolest electronics and funnest car toys available then, along with whatever updates that have been done along the way during the last 20 years, but it's still a frankenstein of sorts

or

B. To have a 1978 Chevy (a 50 year old vehicle model by that time) in excellent condition with every single little detail and part in pristine shape, installed perfectly and without scratches.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote