The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
wwotr

"ON-STAR" QUESTIONS and CONCERNS.....

I have to say that in "Theory" the purpose of "On-Star" is a good thing. Loosing your Cell Phone durring an accident or not being able to converse with someone after you've been in an accident is a great tool.
My Wifes Truck has On-Star, but we have not Subscribed/Activated it.

I have personally always had concerns, so here is my Post/Thread to the Folks here......

There was a segment on this tonight on TV.

Basically, our
Truck is equipped with Sensors, that report when you have a "Sudden De-acceleration".
Then those Sensors, report to a Computer on your vehicle that acts as it's own "Cellular Phone" and automatically calls 1 of 3
On-Star facilities, to report the accident. An On-Star Technician comes on line and because your On-Star unit is equipped with GPS Sensors, it tells that Tech where you are and gives them the closest Police, Fire Departments to contact.

The bothersome thing to me, is this Segment goes on to say that this Computer is equipped with a "Black Box" that records Speed, Braking, and the "Orientation" of the Vehicle, (on its Side, Rook, ect.).

It says that that "Black Box Information" is sent to Fire & EMT Personnel so they can figure out a Course of Action regarding your Treatment, while they are enroute to the scene of the accident.

NOW my question comes into play, is this "information" given to your Insurance Company or Law Enforcement, thus giving you a Ticket or increased Insurance Premiums, by reporting this information, and what (if any) "say" does the involved party have in having this information reported to the Police or Fire officials?

Does anyone have On-Star and was it handy for you, your friends, Spouse ect?
A

Any stories, Thoughts, Questions and Banter would be appreciated.

Roger
"RATIKLE"
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote