The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
lks dcvn

Re: 1972 Blazer - 'Bullet' Project

Firebird - if you see any solid Blazer/Jimmy tubs - shoot me a PM since the 2wd I bought will need similar surgery down the road.

More progress today - I only take off Fridays in the 'nice weather months' here [June-Sept] to do work on my trucks - I am getting more done in the cold than I did over the summer...oh well.

Mario - the part you are referring to is the outer floor extension piece - it is the inner rocker and about 4 inches into the floor [no more front and rear parts to weld together - this covers the whole length of the truck rocker and floor - where the rust usually is.

I could not get mine to line up enough (on the drain channel and seat bump) so I cut the floor at the edge to butt weld on the original floor. I got it from a FS thread on the board here it has an outback truck parts sticker on it from your neck of the woods - but several vendors have them [TriPlus, Wes, GMCPauls] - run about $60. Here is a link to a pic of them:

http://www.gmcpauls.com/pictures/677...nnerrocker.jpg

I got everything lined up and I think tomorrow will begin my B-Pillar project to see how much I am missing and what I will need to build.

I stopped by my local hardware store and did find a few brass fittings that will be me up and running for welding.

I was going to paint the insides of the rocker boxes to protect them from any more rusting - but when I checked the can from www.nomorerust.com it mentioned not to use it below 35 degrees - I don't even think it hit that as a high today.

Well - nonetheless - here are my pix from today. I didn't get a shot of the trimming I did on the outer floor extension patch - but you can see it in the shot of the top of the floor/support...

After checking out the B-pillar I will bolt/tack weld everything in place then put on the door and fender to check for alignment to make sure that I am on track still.

Then take it all back off and adjust, if necessary, and then start my welding.

I think the other side should go a lot faster once I do one side - so I know what I am working with.

I have a new appreciation for people who do this stuff for a living and I hate anybody who lives in areas where this stuff isn't an issue.
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote