The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
CPA-DVM

Question Lowering a Longhorn - Can it be done? Also: Who sells Longhorn and/or 3/4 ton parts?

Ok, so I have been doing a lot of reading and researching the various steps and things I want to do to my truck when I start my rebuild, but can't find anyone who has lowered their Longhorn.
I have a 69 C-20 Longhorn, all original (with original split rims on the front, joy) and am trying to keep it PRETTY original when I do the frame off, starting later this year. But, I am not going to be using it for bed weight or heavy work, just pulling a boat occasionally (roughly 4000 pounds of boat and trailer, so what 500-750 tongue weight) and light bed duty, otherwise summer driving and cruising. I really want to lower the truck around 2-3 in front and 4 in back.

I am familiar with and have been going through catalogues from LMC, ECE, GMCPauls, as well as craigslist, ebay...

I know that I COULD convert the truck to 1/2 ton with spindles and 1/2 ton leafs (and that would do what I want to use it for, but not original). What are my other options that will maintain the 3/4 ton/ 8 bolt?

Front: GMCPauls makes a 3/4 ton front drop spring. Otherwise it looks like a conversion to 5 or 6 bolt and disks. Any others?

REAR: I know they made 3/4 tons with coil and trailing arm rears, but not Longhorns (longer arm would be needed, could I make? is it safe/strong?) GMCPauls sells 3/4 ton drop springs for coil setups.

I know I COULD do a axle flip on the back but I don't want to cut the frame. I think I have read that you can relax leaf springs to lower but does that weaken them? How about some drop shackles, are they rated for the 3/4 ton or just half? What about moving the shackles out and lengthening the leafs?

Maybe what I want to do can't be done, and that's why noone has done it. I don't know. I know Suburbans have been lowered but they have a "normal" wheelbase and that is where my major hiccups are coming from.

I'd have all my hair if I'd just bought the short bed.
CPA-DVM is offline   Reply With Quote