The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
badadrew

M20 4-Speed in 63 C10

Alright guys - the million dollar question(s)

I'm going to be pulling out the old 230 w/3 on the tree and installing a small block with an M20 4-speed that I have. For those who have done the swap to a 4 speed car trans, I have a few questions.

Will a crossmember for the TH350/400 conversion work? Such as the ones from POL or CPP. If not, are there other options other than fabricating one? (Since I don't turn wrenches for a living anymore, I don't have access to a shop other than my small garage and although I have just about every tool known to man, I never really got into fabrication work so I don't have much along those lines.)

What are the driveshaft options? The truck is a long bed Fleetside but does have a 1 piece driveshaft. Obviously, until I get the trans in, I won't know for sure in terms of length but if someone's already gone this route - what did you use?

In terms of a shifter, I would like to keep the bench seat but suspect that I might run into clearance issues on 2nd & 4th gear unless I get a Hurst that is made for the truck. Since Hurst charges an arm and two legs for the shifter and install kit, I'd rather go with a used/swap meet shifter. The problem is - I don't ever seem to see any used 4 speed truck units. Anyone got some alternate Hurst numbers that will also work?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to All!
badadrew is offline   Reply With Quote