The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
doug70

Post Project 71 k20 retro

Ok, just pulled the 71 into the shop to start the build.

Plans:
remove longbed (done)
remove eaton rear end (will replace with corporate 14 bolt with disc upgrade)
strip down to frame
clean and duraline the frame
A lot of work has already been done to the cab, unfortunately some will have to be re-done. The PO did a horrible rocker installation. Cab corners and floors are good. (high Hump Cab)
Strip and clean (rebuild dana 44)
Use late model flatbed
I have a 91 suburban parts vehicle and will be using the TB350 pretty much as it is. The 700R4 and all the wiring I can. Using the rear mounted fuel tank with internal fuel pump to mount under the rear of the 71 frame.
Will use the 91 brake booster and ps parts. Makes for easy computer mounting since it mounts on the brake booster bracket.
The truck has parts from many different color trucks. It will end up teal green and pearl white.
It had some nice aluminum wheels and I will keep those. I also have some 16.5's with 33's that I may later get rid of.
I will use the power seats, tilt column... from the suburban. I may use the entire dash and transplant it in the 71. That should be fun.
I will get rid of the behind seat tank and original seat and use the Suburban seats and console. Anyone know of a good storage system to put where the tank used to be?
I had a cowl hood from another project that will go on this truck.
Will need to replace the plastic grill insert and maybe the grill. I have a nice 70 grill so I may use it.
I have an extra battery box from a parts longhorn so this will have dual batteries.
The A/C from the suburban is coming over too.
Well thats the plan.
Just got started this weekend so I don't have any pics yet.
I 2001 or up rear end, but lack of money means the corporate 14 bolt is going to have to work.

I am in north central texas now.

Anyone else doing something simular?

Doug
doug70 is offline   Reply With Quote