The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Score: Welding/Gas Bottles

I went over to a buddies house this morning to borrow a few odd tools that I need for " The Blazer Project" . Told me he was heading to a "going out of business" sale at a automotive repair shop. I've been looking for a decent parts washer for a while and figured I would go check it out. Man they had all kinds of stuff but no decent parts washers. But, spied a older cutting torch with some gas cylinders sitting around it. I asked how much, he said $150.00 for it all! No problem! I walked out with three full medium size acetylene cylinders, one huge full cylinder of Argon-Carbon Dioxide-Oxygen Mixture and a small bottle of oxygen and acetylene on a bottle cart. Plus a complete cutting torch and a plumber torch with very small acetylene cylinder. Glad I had my small trailer to haul the loot home.
I've always rented cylinders when needed, so I don't really know a lot these things. First, what is Argon-Carbon Dioxide-Oxygen Mixture used for? Is it a type of shielding gas for Mig welding? Second, I think a few of the bottles need to be pressure checked, (recertified) what does that Intel? Third, does a plumbers torch use acetylene? Forth, whats the difference between a "owner" bottle and any other cylinder? Any information would be helpful. I'll post pictures tomorrow of all the stuff... Thanks DP

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)

Last edited by D.PASSMORE; 01-17-2010 at 12:19 AM.
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote