The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #23
lyrikz
PITbut

Re: What a bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp51chevy View Post
I have a couple of keys for my '71. You're more than welcome to use them and see if they'll work.

sent PM
Thanks for the offer, i got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
Did you put them in the ashtray? I usually throw a spare in there. Also have a set in the tool box... On top if the frig, dryer or near the sink? Young child in the house? they maybe in a toy box, purse or the barbie corvette, I found mine in all of these locations from time to time. Good luck.
OMG. I just ran out and checked and no. ahaha. I finally got it out. It literally only took about 10 mins if that. Really easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxracer202 View Post
That sucks

Bought my 67 from a friend who says he has the keys but I doubt he can find them along with the title, now he lives a ways away so now im wondering what to do when the time comes to start it up.
Its actually very easy. Buy a cylinder from your dealership. It was 14 bucks and comes with 2 keys. Basically when there is no key in the cylinder there is a little metal block that sticks out not allowing it to turn. So what you do is when the ignition is in the updown position, just move to the left about 1/8 of an inch and drill in about an inch. It will go pretty easy. Then you just move it left and right for a bit. Put your pin in the little hole and turn it and screw the bezel out. Easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
What exactly keeps the cylinder in?? Just the metal face?

Ripping the metal face off might (depending on the design of the lock cyl) allow you to unscrew the benzel. I never tried to save my switch, just swapped out everything.
There are two little metal bars that keep the cylinder inside, not just that face. One side you push a pin in, the other you have to drill out so it will fall inwards as if there was a key in it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerjio View Post
order a whole new assembly from LMC
Nah, wasnt going to spend more then 15 bucks on this. ahah.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote