The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
ct4613

Need some advice... Just got started

Just pulled my 66 into my shop this mornin, its been sitting inside my dads machine shed for the last 10 years, and i'm wondering, where do I start??
Dont have much money, just bought my farm last fall so I have a pretty tight budget now that i'm a homeowner. Here is my plan. Safety first. Ordering new brake line kit/drums/pads. Also new ball joints. I want to do a static drop, and my springs front and rear are shot. I've seen a kit with springs for front and rear, and shocks for about 600 bucks i think. THinking of eventually dropping it 4" in the front and 5-6 in the rear. So would the spring kit be a good start, and then buy the drop spindles later? Going to do the bodywork myself, i'm just going to clean it up and fix a couple dents/rust spots and shoot it with a flat black primer for this year. Last question for now. I traded for a set of 20" wheels that were on a 02 chevy half ton, that i dont beleive will fit on my 66 because of the large diameter center hub.(they are 6 bolt hubs on my 66) Does anybody make an adaptor plate so i can put more current wheels on my 66. Dont want to spend money on tires(mine are pretty dry rotted) if i can buy adaptors for these 20" wheels i have. Ok i'll stop with the questions for now. Cant beleive i waited 10 years to start on this!!! I think there are going to b some late nights in the shop. I work on dads tractors/combines/and other farm equipment all winter long, but its pretty hard to make a tractor COOL.

Last edited by ct4613; 01-23-2010 at 02:37 AM.
ct4613 is offline   Reply With Quote