The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

heater trouble

I'm having trouble with the heater in my 80 (no ac).A bit of history first.The heater has always blown super hot since I got it.The only issue I had is the hot/cold lever didn't function,so it was either full bore or nothing.
I went on a 3hr roadtrip the other day and it was cool outside (-25c) but the heater put out great.I had it on with the fan on low and the window cracked 1/2".It was comfortable.When I got to the farm I pulled the truck in and did a bit of maintenance.I retorqued the heads which were pretty good,the outside row took a few pounds but nothing serious.I played with choke on the 1406 a bit more (a thread on it's own ),and then I decided to fix the hot/cold lever.
Turned out that a po discoed the cable and tied the door in the full hot position.I hooked the cable up again and tested it,everything seemed fine so I buttoned it up,gave myself an attaboy and moved on.
So today I head for home and it's about the same temp as the day I drove up that way.I noticed the heat wasn't anywhere near as hot as before and it seemed to get cooler the faster I drove and the longer I was on the road.To add to that I noticed the water temp rising a little,so I figured I was running low on coolant somehow.I pulled over,shut the truck down and started checking hoses.The lower rad hose was warmish,both heater hoses warm/hot and upper rad hose hot.I carefully removed the rad cap to check the level and lost a bit doing so but it wasn't much.I topped it up and refired the truck with the cap off.The level dropped immediately so I added another 1/2gallon or so to top it up and put the cap back on.Just for my own piece of mind,I checked the oil it was clean and at the proper level,so I continued on.The engine ran at normal temp the rest of the way,but still no real heat.The only thing that really changed here was I "fixed" the hot cold flapper.What could I have messed up in doing so?
Sorry for the novel.Thanks for any help.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote