The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
AusTruck

Cannibalize 78G20 into 69C10?

I've got a 78 Chevy G20 Van that I bought new in 78. 350/350. Front 5-lug disk brakes, and 'cause its a 3/4 ton, a Dana 60 limited slip rear end with 2.73 gears on a leaf springs. Factory AC, power brakes, cruise control, and tilt wheel. Factory gauge package. Decent 5-lug turbine style wheels. Certain of all this as I bought it new and ordered it with just about every heavy-duty option possible.

I've used it hard but taken pretty good care of it. Although the body has a lot of surface rust, no rust through and with an oil change I'd drive it cross country without worrying. I've done Texas to the East Coast more times than I could remember. Likewise, helped move so many people outa old homes/apartments into new homes than I can remember. At one time, it hauled several road race bikes.

The Van is strong as a bull but ugly as hell. Ok, the outside has surface rust and the upholstery is on its last legs. Also the AC isn't working either. One advantage the Van does have as resale is that its a 78 3/4 ton which meant NO cat converters from the factory! Part of the reason I ordered it at the time.

HOWEVER, there's my 69 C10......It was originally a 6-cylinder with 350 turbo and factory air. Some PO installed power steering and a 350 crate motor with some sort of cam. Edelbrock Performer manifold with Edelbrock 650 carb. Hooker comp headers and flows. I've got electrical issues I'm working through right now.

I could cannibalize the whole front end from the Van and get 5 lug front disk brakes on the C10. Might use the power booster and prop valve too. Seeing as that moves the front wheels out, I could swap the Dana 60 with limited slip and move the rear wheels out, getting matching 5 lugs in the process. Yes, I know about the new trailing arm perches that would have to be welded on, and probably use a CPP locating arm that attaches to the passenger side trailing arm. Use the existing 15" wheels from the Van too.

Cannibalize the tilt column too, seeing as it doesn't have the ignition switch on it.

Oh, the 2.73 rear gears would be kinda low (numerically)? Well there's the Doug Nash 4+1 in the garage with the deep first gear that I've been meaning to install that could address that. Yeah, need all the clutch, flywheel, linkage, etc parts for the conversion, but that could wait.

I'd love to reuse the 350/350, but don't have a place for them. Although I've never had the pan off, as its a G20, its likely to be a 4 bolt main. BTW, the engine has never been apart except for a couple of starters, two water pumps and one carb rebuild.

So rather than continue to pay the $30 monthly storage charge for the Van, or try and sell it?
One thing I'm wondering about all this fiasco, is if the front track of the Van is the same width as the Dana rear? So if I swapped all this over, I'd end up with the same track width front and rear?

One other thing I'd like to mention is the eventual use of the C10 is as a street truck with possible 1/4 mile usage. The Dana 60 limited slip would probably eliminate rear end issues

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-01-2010 at 06:57 PM.
AusTruck is offline   Reply With Quote