The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
MidYear

Considering a 66 C20 Custom Cab

Hi all. I've been lurking this forum for several months as I've been looking for a 64-68 to buy. After looking at several trucks, I am considering an original 66 C20 FS LB Custom Cab with a 327, TH400, factory air, PS, PB, and tach. Title (circa 1976), cab, and frame numbers match. I couldn't verify the engine #s due to a poor stamping job, but was able to get a partial of "FC1??"..... "?V12?1XTD?". The chasis is almost rust free, and nearly complete except for missing carb, and air cleaner. The engine "farts" if you squirt a little gas down the manifold and crank it, so it will probably run. Original rams horns feeding an ancient custom exhaust. I know TH400s don't like to be left unused too long so it will likely need to be rebuilt, since it's been sitting for at least 25 years. Has limited slip diff. The AC compressor looks to be good with all lines intact. Wheels are 16" split ring. Tires are junk. No spare wheel, but spare wheel carier is complete.
The cab is solid, but quite rough; shallow dents on the roof, cracked windshield, missing rear window, good door glass. Doors are solid with a few minor dents, and 6" speaker holes that I would probably use. No mirrors, or visors. In dash AC looks complete except for missing the 3 diffusers from the bezel. The heater is nearly complete, but I'm guessing it will need a new core since it has been disconnected, and they rot if left that way. Deluxe horn ring is in decent shape. Stainless CC upper trim is decent. Tach instrument cluster complete, but will need scratched face lens replaced. Solid hood with a few minor dents. Fenders are straight with the standard rust holes ahead of the doors. CC aluminum grill has several dents, but I may be able to restore. Original chrome front bumper in fair condition. All if the lower body SS side trim is missing.
The box is correct, but probably not original and is in rough, restorable condition. The bed will need to be replaced. No rear bumper.
I'm a little long-winded here, but I fogot my camera on this one, and it's a 240 mile trip to see it. I would like to have a 64-66 to haul/tow stuff, and as an occasional driver for my Wife as well. The idea here would be to get it drivable, and then restore it as I go. I can do decent quality body/paint work, and top notch mechanical, so labor (and this will require a lot) would be zero. Of course, I would have to buy the missing, and damaged-beyond-repair parts like the glass, rubber, upholstry, supplies, ect. I have owned a 64 C10 in the past, and a 66 C10 in the (very distant) past.
Now for the $100 question; If I can buy this truck for around $2K will I be throwing money away, or is it more likely that I will have something worth at least what I have into it? This would probably be a keeper; I'm not looking to turn a profit, but it won't break my heart if it has positive value.
Thank you for any input.

BTW, this seems to be a really nice, and diverse group on this forum. It did take me a while to figure out what bagged, slammed, and "on 20's" means though...I must be getting old.
MidYear is offline   Reply With Quote