The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
2badgn

What's best way to make money w/Truck?

I guess Im just venting because I have spent ALOT of money on fixing up this truck!

My dad bought a 1984 GMC Sierra 3500 Pickup Truck brand new. He used this truck to do weekend construction jobs as a side gig. My dad told me that he made alot of money with this truck!

I am a teacher but I love cars & trucks. My strength is in detailing- buffing and waxing. I can change oil and spark plugs but that's about it.

Since the truck was getting old n rusty-- hole in driver's floor board and rusty driver's rocker panel-- I decided to fix it up. The alternative was to drive it to the junkyard. My dad is now 83 but he uses the truck to pick up firewood, wine grapes, tomatoes, things from Home Depot, etc. This truck has sentimental value and it was a great HD Work Horse. I later found out that it has a 4 bolt main and 4.10 gears. I never see these 1 tons anymore w/10 leaf springs. My car priorities up to this point were fixing up my 83 VW GTi and a few other cars.

My brother-in-law and nephew would always borrow the truck and not even put gas in it. Family!!! My brother-in-law did little jobs when things would break on the truck- like fix carb, change muffler, change front brakes, change radiator, etc. Quick little jobs.

Since my dad is on a fixed income, I spent ALOT of money to restore the truck- Parts- interior, NOS carb, trim, inner & outer fenders, body patches, taillights, mics; Engine Repair- Truck only has 108k miles- Timing Chain, belts, all gaskets except for head gaskets, change all fluids, power steering pump, rear brakes, carb, complete tune up;
Body Work & Paint - Great price for alot of work- repair all rust, sand to metal, prime, BC/CC Urethane Paint, interior work, alot of misc. things.

Now truck has alot of vibration, so I brought it back to my local Chevy dealer. It needs rear wheel cylinders, front calipers, idler arm & lower control arm.

More money!!! i originally went to my local Chevy dealer bc I wanted someone reliable to do the timing chain. The mechanic is very knowledgeable, service manager always gives me 10% off of labor & parts and the place is very close to my house. Just a bit expensive @ $108/hour. Hopefully, this is the last batch of problems. Still have to install spray-in Line-X and GPS alarm.
I have spent a little more money than I had planned. Isn't this always the case. Rest assured nobody but my dad and I will be using this truck.

Good thing is that I am NOT in debt- just paid off my school loan and car loan.

Just looking for some wise words of motivation and ideas of how to use the truck to earn some money on weekends and during my summer off from school. This truck can haul lots of weight- thinking of making business cards- maybe help out a construction company or help people move. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sorry this was so long.

Last edited by 2badgn; 02-18-2010 at 06:16 PM.
2badgn is offline   Reply With Quote