The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Headed to court again...for restoring classic trucks!

You may have heard, I was charged by a state patrol officer for operating a wrecking yard without a license. I sold an extra used part/bumper from one of my restoration parts vehicles.
I have been restoring 67-72 GM trucks, as an at home hobby, for over 20 years. I have been in the 67-72 new truck parts licensed business for 13 years, but there was no way the officer would recognize the the difference between restoration activities and wrecking yard operations.
The first case was in a criminal court and dismissed for lack of evidence. The second set of charges with fines of $25,000, was issued administratively based on the same set of charges that were thrown out of District Court.
WSP with the Dept of Lic and Atty Gen told me to get a lawyer. They will accept $12,000 and an admission of guilt or they will press for the full $25K fines in Admin Court before a state paid judge.
It looks like we will be in court Monday! $12K is crazy and $25K is the real crime here. It is like legalized extortion! We have been trying to settle this for nine months. I have two lawyers: one for each court.
Oh, WSP officer says buying or selling at swap meets, CL, Ebay or any other means is also illegal. We need some laws changed to protect our hobby, but that will be a big battle and too late for me. I would sure prefer to be building trucks, rather than fighting governments.

Last edited by PICKMUP; 02-19-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote