The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
Dzlhead

Inside windshield frame rust removal?

Hi. I've been looking round here for years but I've posted only a few times so bear with me. I have a '72 Jimmy and the windshield frame is shot. I have a good replacement for it and I'm ready to get started. The many great posts here have given me the knowledge and courage to do this. My question is, has anyone taken care of the rust on the inside of these before replacing them? I believe these rust from the inside out. I came up with a few ideas I'd like to run them past you guys. Any advice/help would be great!

1. Acid dip. Good cuz it would get the inside. I would then weld those open corners up with a small sheet metal patch, but from past experience after time liquid seeps out of the creased/folded over areas and ruins the painted surfaces. But how could I protect the inside?... read below please.

2. Por-15. I understand that this product likes rust, not flakey, loose stuff, but general surface rust. Like I said I could block those ends, tip it over and literally pour the 3 step process in there. Refilp each time and let the stuff out. As for the final application I could bascially fill the frame and then tip it right side up and let it drain. In my small pee sized brain, lol, I think this would coat the whole inside.

3. Herculiner. I have used this product and loved it. You have to follow the directions to a T! Clean,dry,particle free so I would have to use the acid dip as I belive it won't stick to the surface rust. I got a wheel barrow for Father's Day and I wanted to see how this stuff worked so I did two coats and it's sweet... I also did my ATV plow twice, and no the snow doesn't stick to it. I would use this after the acid dip, but leary of the seepage and not sure if it would adhear to bare metal as well as to a painted surface, and we know we can't paint in here.

4. Eastwood makes a rust stabilizer I believe??

5. That home made rust removal with the metal rods, battery charger, in a plastic kid pool, etc??

6. Sandblast. Good for outside but... can't get inside.

I am open to any suggestions and I will gladly sit back and take any advice or critisim. Thank You for all your time.
Cable

Last edited by Dzlhead; 02-20-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Dzlhead is offline   Reply With Quote