The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Russ65C10

The Never Ending Restore

Thought I'd share the never ending restore (I blame it all on having kids)

A little history to start:
My dad bought himself a brand new truck in 1966, a C10 small window step-side with a 250 six, three on the tree. Bone stock except for instrument panel. He drove the truck in the mid-seventies before he handed it of to me as my first vehicle. I quickly drove it into the ground and moved on. It sat my folks backyard until about 18 years (yes that's right I've been working on this thing off and on for nearly 20 years) when I desided to get it going again.

What I've done... so far:
When I started out I picked up a barely running 1965 short-wide big window custom cab C10 that was pretty much fully loaded. 283, powerglide, front sway bar 3.73 with posi-traction. Body was beat to hell so I kept the cab and replaced everything else with the body of my 66 in addition I've done the following.

1. rebuilt a spare 283 I had laying around. Its bone stock with the exception of Edelbrock 1405 carb, performer intake, headman headers and electronic ignition.

2. Went through a junkyard TH350, rebuilt a 200R4 (never rebuild your own tranny), and 2 (yes 2) TCI streetfighter 700R4's (I'll never buy an other), before I broke down and had a friend of my brother-in-law's that specialize in build 700R4's build me one that you put in a tank, cost about a much as one too.

3. Installed power steering and front brakes from a mid-seventies chevy.

4. Have most of the parts to swap rear brakes over to disc. Looking for rear disc info was the reason I joined this group.

5. Painted the truck with Spray on Rustomum about 8 years. Needed to get it all one color, protect it from surface rust and if I went to Maco the wife would've decided I was done ;-)

6. In the process of repainting it with Rustomum again. Still can't afford a real paint job but I am getting un-comfortable with the amount of surface rust. This time, and I'll document it so everyone can see turns out and give me crap about it, I am going to do it using the "Roller" method. Its dirt cheap, I should be able to paint the entire truck with about $25 worth of paint. You don't have to worry about over-spray, you can do I part at a time. It's hard to screw up and so far its looking like its going to turn out better that my skill set could turn out any other way.
Attached Images

Russ65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote