The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
jocko

Towing question

Good evening all - got a quick question for someone out there that may have done this before - I'm looking at buying a 55 1st series 3100. Decent old truck - but I have a minor problem - am in the military and move pretty often. Although I've rented a U-Haul car hauler several times before and dragged a 65 Impala big block car all over the country with no problems (except for that one overheat in Needles...) with my 2001 Chev Silverado 4x4 (only a 5.3L V8 1500 though) - I'm wondering if my Silverado is gonna be able to hack towing a trailer with a heavy 55 1st series 3100 on the trailer... My truck has a Reese hitch, so not worried about the hitch itself, more the Z71's ability to hack it. Realize will probably take the south route around the Rockies.

Unfortunately, the cost of shipping it back and forth across the country as I move around will rapidly exceed the total cost of the vehicle - so this will be a factor in whether or not I buy this thing.

Appreciate any feedback on any experience anyone may have had towing an old half-ton 55 1st series 3100 with a new half ton (2001) Z71. Seems to me the weight difference between a 65 Impala and the 55 chev truck is fairly significant - close to 800 lbs or so. Thoughts?

Thanks!
- Jocko
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote