The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
NicoSlam

Polished Grill before after

Well I decided to polish the grill on my 69 since it looked bad against a new chrome grille. The grille was a solid 8 with only one dent on the pass side. I started by removing the grille and tapping out the dents as best as possible. I then used easy-off to remove the anodize. after a good cleaning, I went over the whole grille with 600grit and wd40 to smooth out any scratches etc. followed with 0000 steel wool to smooth out and give a uniform surface appearance. The next was the fun stuff. I used a 4" medium buff wheel and tripoli (brown) and did most of the work with this compound. I cleaned the surface to remove and residue and followed with a new loose wheel and white rouge to remove any haze. Finally I polished the grille using an aluminum polish I found at outzone. Not the show quality results but the grille compliments the bumper pretty darn close. As for the inner grille, I painted the surface with silver, let it dry then taped it to protect it and from the back side I painted it black leaving the look use see in the pic. Overall it took about 7hrs but well worth cost savings of a new grille. Here are some pics. Hope you like.
Attached Images

NicoSlam is offline   Reply With Quote