The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

3 week review into the C-30 rehab

Well it was 3 weeks ago I brought this truck home. Such was a road trip of 3 hours in a truck I didn't know with a leaky exhaust donut that made it sound like a logging truck and a gas guage pegged past full and not moving and no radio to forget the noise or the fuel guage. But it was a fair deal and the adventure is always fun.(welcome to the 'new' truck!)

The goal is to have a nice working C-30 dump truck for the farm. Not a daily driver but around when the need is there.

So far, the exhaust is repaired as is the fuel guage. Shocks all around, a clean interior, total tune-up, repaired vacuum advance hose, new belts, new tires to go with the new rear tires it came with, and some exterior refreshing with the front end grill & headlights from LMC (my new 'wish book') and the chrome simulators that came with the 79 C-30 I purchased late last year. Spare tire, new jack and passed the safety lane also has been added and done.

Warm weather arrived today and now the bed has some sides and maybe a plan for an 'air gate' using some pipe. Still pondering that idea.

Did get an oil leak "fixed" by tightening the oil pan only to have it return recently. Parts are now bought that includes a front seal, rear seal and oil pan gasket as a soon to happen project. (this will be my first "surgery"!)

Except for the darn oil drip it looks to be close to done except for a radio, (not worked since purchase) and yea, I have some new oem cab clearance lights coming as the old ones are past aged. The dash is typically cracked in a couple of spots but that will wait until I know this truck is mechanically done. I swear I expect to repair the oil leaks and then...? New interior??? Paint frame??? Overhaul???? It doesn't end does it...?

Still, not too bad for only 3 weeks into it. Been driving it around more to try to get "to know it" lately. Seems every used vehicle, (even new ones come to think about it), I have ever owned comes with a "personality", so I am still trying to learn this one!

But here is where it is today and a pic to remind me of what it was 3 weeks ago. Not bad considering the cold weather and the day job!

Anyway, appreciate all the information to be found here always by folks who have been where I am these days with this 'new' truck. I have quickly learned the value of the search engine here to read and learn about these old Chevy trucks!

Taken today while the paint dries on the 2x12 side rails...

and then there is this pic from 3 weeks ago...

I have a plan/idea to modify/cut down these red sides as extensions when needed for some annual firewood hauling this year attaching to the side rails I just made. (more to do...)

Thanks all for this forum! Sure makes it easier and more entertaining too!

Mark

...and then there is this picture that reminds me what the wife sees...bless her heart for letting me have some "toys" to play with!

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 03-07-2010 at 01:06 AM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote